In the world of nootropics, it’s easy to find products with big marketing and a lack of information available to back it up. What’s in the supplement, and how will it affect my performance, focus, and memory? These are all areas we work hard to get to the bottom of when we test out a new supplement. When we set out to review Lumonol, we didn’t have any trouble finding information from the company behind it.
Developed and manufactured in the United States by Avanse Nutraceuticals, Lumonol’s site provides a great deal of content on its ingredients and effectiveness, along with a 90 day money back guarantee. We set out to find out if the information and transparency on their site matched up with a quality product. Read below for our full Lumonol review.
Table of contents
Lumonol’s ingredients are grouped into blends focusing on three main goals: Focus, Energy, and Memory.
- Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin) – 250mcg
- An essential vitamin B nutrient, B12 plays an important role in numerous bodily functions, including neurological function and development. The particular form of B12 contained in Lumonol is a form most often used to reduce brain fog and promote mental energy due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- Memory Blend – 170mg
- There are no listed amounts for each individual component of the proprietary blend, but the ingredients are below.
- Alpha GPC
- Choline is a vital compound in neurotransmission, and research suggests many Americans don’t get enough from their regular diets (in fact, choline-based nootropics are increasingly common, and some of our testers have experienced enhanced memory and focus simply from supplementing choline). It’s a common ingredient in many nootropic stacks, and we’re not surprised Avanse included it in Lumonol. Alpha GPC is one of the most bioavailable forms of choline and among the best compounds at increasing brain concentration of choline after ingestion, we generally think of it as the highest quality form of choline in nootropic supplements.
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Ginkgo has been used for thousands of years to promote memory in Chinese medicine. More recently, clinical studies and research reviews have pointed to its efficacy in fighting dementia and neural decline.
- Focus Blend – 515mg
- There are no listed amounts for each individual component of the proprietary blend, but the ingredients are below.
- This is perhaps Lumonol’s signature ingredient, and it contains 15mg of Noopept. Originally studied for its use in fighting cognitive decline, Noopept is now linked to powerful nootropic effects. Its effect is similar to Piracetam, a long-time preferred ingredient for nootropic/brain supplement pioneers. However, a much lower dosage of Noopept is needed to achieve the same cognitive boost, up to 1000 times less, in fact. Both Noopept and Piracetam have been shown to be well-tolerated by users with a generally low risk of side effects. *As always, it’s a good idea to consult with your doctor before starting a new supplement regime. Noopept metabolizes very quickly, within 25 minutes or less after oral ingestion, and it has a potentially cumulative effect, meaning it gets more effective after repeated use. Our testers felt its effects very quickly after taking Lumonol. Noopept also provides a neuroprotective when supplemented, potentially protecting against oxidative damage/stress and some physical traumas. This class of compounds interacts with choline receptors, and we’re glad to see Lumonol include citicoline in the supplement as well; taking Piracetam or similar compounds without enough choline can in some cases result in a dull headache, though none of our testers experienced this at any point with Lumonol.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine
- This compound pairs very well with choline; when combined, the two form the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. Having both in the same supplement is a good hedge in case the body is deficient in either compound. We’re pleased Lumonol includes both compounds in order to promote acetylcholine levels.
- Avanse claims L-Tyrosine pairs well with many other ingredients in Lumonol’s nootropic stack. There’s good evidence to support that claim, as L-Tyrosine is well-linked to improving cognitive performance under conditions of stress, and the compound has been shown to actually reduce symptoms of stress itself, likely because it is involved in the production of dopamine.
- This is a widely-used nootropic compound that, until the 1990s, was very difficult to synthesize. Clinical testing and trials have linked it to improved cognition, and the compound has also been shown to reduce cortisol (a well-known stress hormone) levels.
- Energy Blend – 430mg
- Guarana is a climbing Amazonian plant containing almost four times the amount of caffeine as coffee beans. Even in low doses, it can provide more stimulation than caffeine alone due to its concentration of phytonutrients. Guarana pairs especially well with many of the nootropic compounds found in Lumonol, increasing their effectiveness and pronounced effects across the board.
- Panax Ginseng
- Like its counterpart ginkgo, ginseng has been used for millennia to improve memory. Ginseng is especially well-tied to memory response time, decreasing the amount of time it takes to recall facts.
- This is a compound we haven’t seen in too many product before, but due to Lumonol’s inclusion of other dopamine-enhancing ingredients (see L-Tyrosine, above), we’re not surprised. Hordenine increases dopamine availability by inhibiting its breakdown (or oxidation) in our bodies. It’s a good complement to L-Tyrosine in this particular supplement, another one of Lumonol’s synergistic interactions.
- Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide
From the Avanse packaging and website:
For mental performance, focus and energy: Start with 2 capsules per day. Lumonol’s effects are cumulative, building over time. With that said, Lumonol does provide an intense boost to motivation within 20 minutes of ingestion. We recommend that if you are new to nootropics that upon receiving your Lumonol order you run a sensitivity test by consuming a single capsule per day for the first few days.
Serving Size: Upon successful completion of a 1 capsule “tolerance test day”, take 2 capsules per day. You may take Lumonol before eating, or after, and may consume after lunchtime if a productive afternoon is required. Taking Lumonol too close to bedtime may result in a restless night. Lumonol should be supplemented in 90 day cycles, with 15 – 30 days break in between. Lumonol’s effects build with time.
We had BrainWiz testers take between 1 and 2 capsules per day.
Brain Wiz Tester Reviews
“I really like this supplement. I felt sharp and alert during my Lumonol trial. I was a little cautious taking this supplement, since there was no listed amount for the guarana in the Energy Blend portion of the product. I’m quite sensitive to caffeine, and had heard that guarana had over twice the amount of caffeine as coffee. I started with 1 capsule, and there was a definite surge in energy, but it felt controlled and even, lasting about 6 hours.”
“I loved the clean energy I got from this supplement. I took it an hour before my workout, and I felt like I was able to push as far as I needed to at the gym. There was a definite mental clarity and quickness. I’m interested to see how the cumulative effects of this supplement work. I took two capsules 30 minutes before my workout.”
“I took this supplement for the first time on a workday filled with back-to-back meetings. I had no trouble remembering information for a number of questions that came up, and felt focused, hours after taking it. I took 2 capsules, along with my morning coffee.”
“I really like the way this supplement made me feel both physically and mentally. I’m willing to try it for the full 90 days, to see if I get the purported heightened senses and memory boost that comes along with the cumulative effects of Noopept.”
My Personal Lumonol Experience
Often times it can seem like many of the nootropics on the market today are just the same blends of ingredients under different labels. I started to feel that way until stumbling upon Lumonol.
When reading the ingredients list for Lumonol, I was surprised. It didn’t have a similar ingredients list to some of the other popular nootropics on the market. Most notably, it contained noopept. I was unfamiliar with using noopept at the time of receiving my first bottle of Lumonol and had only read a few different articles on its effects. While I was intrigued, I was also wary. Many of the stories I heard made noopept seem too good to be true.
Although I was wary, I kept an open mind and started the first day of my review with half a dose to see how my body reacted. Within the first 15 minutes I felt the effects. My morning brain fog was washed away and replaced with a calm and focused energy. This very well could be the quickest I’ve ever felt a nootropic begin to work.
Throughout using Lumonol, I noticed a much stronger focus during the day. My energy levels were also kicked up a notch. I believe this was because of the blend of caffeine and noopept which allowed me to focus with an increase in energy.
The only downside to taking Lumonol was that I accidentally mixed it with 2 cups of coffee a few times. This led to a big increase in energy and a crash later in the day.
Lumonol proved itself to be one of the best nootropics I’ve ever taken and it has become a regular nootropic I take, when needed.
What Are Lumonol Side Effects?
As with any nootropic stack, individual tolerance and experience may vary. Our testers didn’t experience significant side effects from Lumonol beyond enhanced focus and energy, though a few suggested that taking more than the recommended dose may cause jitters if they were to do so (these testers, like Chad, tend to me more sensitive to caffeine).
Some studies suggest the ingredient Noopept may have a significantly lower instance of side effects than compounds like Piracetam, which we see in many other nootropic stacks. Noopept may also have some neuroprotective effects, helping prevent damage to certain groups of cells in the brain.
If you’re sensitive to caffeine or stimulants, it may be a good idea to start with less than the recommended dose or only try one capsule of Lumonol within 24 hours to start. It may also be a good idea to avoid taking with other caffeine sources, like coffee, the first couple times you try Lumonol. Discontinue if you feel any negative side effects or impairment.
Brain Wiz Tips
- There are certainly some potent ingredients in Lumonol. While our four testers all had positive experiences, a few of our friends who tried it felt some jitteriness shortly after ingestion, even when only taking one capsule. It may be a good idea to try taking it with a meal in order to ease some of the absorption, especially given how quickly Noopept can metabolize.
- Lumonol contains a robust combination of nootropic ingredients, and thus we wouldn’t recommend stacking it with any additional brain enhancers/nootropics. The ingredients contained therein seem to interact well with each other, but adding in more while on Lumonol could cause some unpredictability in results.
- As with any supplement or nutritional regimen, you should talk to your doctor or medical professional before use.
Lumonol surprised us with the both the quality of cognitive enhancement and the speed with which it acts. Noopept leads a high-quality combination of nootropic ingredients with a great deal of synergistic interactions. While the focus and energy boosts were pronounced, in our review of Lumonol, the nootropic stack’s effect on memory recall was what really impressed us. Apart from a few instances of jitteriness, we felt no negative side effects. However, due to the diverse and potent ingredients in the supplement, user experience is likely to vary significantly with Lumonol; start slow, and discontinue use if you feel any negative side effects or impairment.