Avanse Nutraceuticals created a simple, three-ingredient nootropic designed to both boost the effects of their flagship product, Lumonol. Lumonol Nova can also be used on its own for what the company advertises as clean energy and stress protection. Lumonol Nova’s formula is nearly identical to a product we’ve recently reviewed, Smart Caffeine, with the noted addition of one ingredient: N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT). Read on to see how this straightforward booster does on its own AND when paired with Lumonol.
Table of contents
- N-Acetyl L-Tyrosine (NALT) – 300mg
- L-Tyrosine is well-linked to improving cognitive performance under conditions of stress, and the compound has been shown to actually reduce symptoms of stress itself, likely because it is involved in the production of dopamine. NALT is a more soluble form of L-tyrosine, though research evidence on whether it’s more readily used by the body remains a bit up in the air.
- L-Theanine – 200 mg
- An amino acid that’s becoming an increasingly common ingredient in nootropics, l-theanine promotes relaxation without being a sedative, and research suggests it also helps the brain deal better with stress. Often paired with caffeine, l-theanine’s effects appear complementary to the world’s most popular stimulant. It may also increase brain activity and memory. L-theanine is commonly found in green tea, and a standard cup contains around 20 mg (so a capsule of Lumonol Nova contains a high dosage relative to standard tea consumption).
- Natural Caffeine Anhydrous from Coffee Beans – 100 mg
- The world’s most popular stimulant, caffeine actually works by preventing adenosine from acting on adenosine receptors in the brain. This inhibitory mechanism reduces feelings of drowsiness and sedation. Caffeine is a well-researched, well-known, and common ingredient in many brain supplements, and a big reason coffee is one of the world’s most in-demand commodities. Research suggests caffeine and l-theanine pairings boost alertness and cognitive performance.
- Other Ingredients: Gelatin Capsule, Rice Flour, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Titanium Dioxide, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Blue #1
Suggested Use: Take 2 capsules daily. Do not exceed 4 capsules within a 24-hour period. Contains caffeine. Taking Nova in the evening may cause a restless night’s sleep, so we do NOT recommend you to take Lumonol or Nova in the evening.
What Our Testers Say
“I’m usually hesitant about caffeine, but after my positive experience with Smart Caffeine, I decided to give Lumonol Nova a try. The energy was very smooth, with no jitteriness or anxiety. I may not like coffee, but supplements like this have become a great energy option for me.”
“I’ve been doing the 90-day Lumonol protocol (with a few breaks to test other supps) so I was really excited to add the Nova to the mix. I’m not sure whether it was a combination of the cumulative effects of the Noopept in regular Lumonol, and the Lumonol Nova, but I felt extra alert and felt like my brain was quicker at accessing information than ever before. I really enjoyed this combination. I worked up to 2 capsules of Lumonol Nova with 2 capsules of Lumonol.”
“I really enjoyed the calm energy this gave me. I started out with one capsule with my morning coffee, and another in the afternoon, and there was no edginess. I’m not a fan of the artificial blue and red coloring in it, and I try to stay away from artificial food coloring as a general rule. I know this product would be just as effective without it, and hope that Avanse considers revising its formula in the future. ”
“This was a great option both pre-workout, and in the afternoon instead of a cup of coffee. I took 2 capsules in the morning, and had an incredible workout. I was able to still feel that smooth energy into the early afternoon, when I took one additional capsule. There was no real crash, and I felt pretty composed despite having a high-stress day.”
- Lumonol Nova is best taken with food, especially for those with a caffeine sensitivity.
- Test out your tolerance before adding other stimulants like coffee or tea.
- Most testers split the dosage, taking one capsule first thing in the morning and one post-lunch.
- To avoid building up a caffeine tolerance, we suggest cycling Lumonol Nova, taking at least a couple of days off a week.
- As always, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor or a medical professional before starting a new supplement regimen. Remember that caffeine is a stimulant, so test your tolerance slowly, especially if you are sensitive to stimulants.
Lumonol Nova (see current price) is a solid option for those seeking a calm and clean energy, unlike that of a cup of coffee. All of our testers felt focused and energized, and the energy just mellowed out, rather than producing a crash. It tested similar to Smart Caffeine, and our testers were split as to which they preferred. For beginners in the world of nootropics, a simple two-ingredient stack like Smart Caffeine is usually a great starting point.
Those who paired it with Lumonol felt that the effects of both supplements were heightened and complemented by each other. This may not be the best supplement for those not willing to give up their cup of coffee, but it is a convenient energy and mood booster.