Upgraded Self (also known as Bulletproof) is the producer of high-quality, well-sourced products to boost human performance. Known for Bulletproof Coffee (a mix of coffee, medium chain triglyceride oil, and grass-fed butter, which in conjunction can serve as their own nootropic), Bulletproof produces a number of other brain-boosting supplements. Their best-known nootropic is Unfair Advantage (read our review of Unfair Advantage here), but they also make Choline Force, GABAwave, and Glutathione Force.
Today, we’re reviewing Choline Force, a blend of powerful brain and energy-promoting compounds. Many people are deficient in the compounds vital to healthy brain function and do not get enough of them from their regular diets; in addition to a blend of nootropic compounds, Choline Force provides an extra dosage of several compounds necessary for neurotransmitter function. This is especially relevant for vegetarians or vegans, as many common sources of choline and other brain-boosting compounds are eggs, meat, and dairy.
Choline Force comes in capsules, with 120 capsules per bottle. There are 30 four-capsule servings per container.
One thing we like about Upgraded Self products is that they normally list the amounts of ingredients in each supplement, while many other nootropic companies don’t reveal the dosages in their proprietary blends. With Choline Force that’s especially important, as this supplement works in part by fixing deficiencies in compounds vital to brain function.
- Choline (as choline bitartrate) – 500mg
- Choline-Bitartrate, a vitamin-like chemical, helps the body produce acetylcholine, one of the main neurotransmitters involved in learning along with other cognitive processes. It’s a fairly common ingredient in nootropic supplements and stacks, and Choline Force provides a pretty high dosage compared to other supplements we’ve tried. Many Americans are choline deficient, and the dosage in Choline Force is a bit more than 100% of the recommended daily value for the average adult.
- Huperzine-A (Lycopodium serrata whole plant extract) – 52 mcg
- Huperzine A is a compound derived from Chinese club moss that has been used to improve cognitive performance in patients with declining mental health.
- Vinpocetine – 20mg
- Vinpocetine is a chemical derived from the periwinkle plant, known to increase cerebral blood flow. Doctors in Hungary have been prescribing this compound to treat cerebrovascular disorders for decades.
- DMAE (dimethylamineoethanol bitartrate) – 252mg
- DMAE Bitrate or Deanol, is a chemical used to treat ADHD, improve memory, and boost cognitive function. Deanol is essential to the production and of choline, one of the building blocks of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. It’s a chemical precursor to choline and boosts alertness.
- Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) – 100mcg
- Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble essential vitamin directly related to brain health, including memory and actual brain mass. A number of studies have noted positive associations between vitamin B12 intake and performance on memory tests.
- Pantothenic Acid (calcium pantothenate) – 124mg
- Also known as vitamin B5, this is a water-soluble essential vitamin needed for healthy nervous system function.
- Pyroglutamic Acid – 252mg
- Pyroglutamic Acid is an amino acid and a known cognition-enhancing agent that works in conjunction with acetylcholine, GABA, and glycine. We’re happy to see this in a choline-based supplement, as it can enhance its effects. Compared to other supplements with choline, this ingredient gives Choline Force a big advantage, and a few of our testers noticed the difference.
- L-Phenylalanine – 252 mg
- L-Phenylanine is an amino acid that promotes general brain function and reduces the effects of age-related memory decline. Some potential side effects of L-phenylalanine supplementation include headaches and jitters. Those with Parkinson’s and schizophrenia can develop other negative symptoms when taking phenylalanine.
- Ginkgo leaf extract (24% ginkgoflavonglycosides) – 60 mg
- Ginkgo has been used for thousands of years to promote memory in Chinese medicine. More recently, clinical studies and research reviews have pointed to its efficacy in fighting dementia and neural decline.
- Other Ingredients: Hydroxypropylmethylcellulose (vegetarian capsule), microcrystalline cellulose, and magnesium stearate.
- Take 4 capsules up to two times per day with food or as directed by your healthcare professional. Choline Force promotes healthy levels of key neurotransmitters in the brain, boosting clear thinking and sharp memory. Choline Force also contains vinpocetine and ginkgo to support health cerebral blood flow, and B-vitamins to support cognitive energy.
- People have varying amounts of acetylcholine in their brains, thus requiring varying doses. Having too little acetylcholine can decrease brain function, while too much of it (being “choline dominant”) can cause excessive jaw or muscle tension. If you experience these symptoms, reduce your dose of Bulletproof® Choline Force™.
- If you are taking other substances that increase your body’s demand for acetylcholine, you will especially benefit from this supplement. We had several BrainWiz testers take between 4 and 8 capsules per day.
What Our Testers Say
“Choline Force gave me a light ”˜wave’ of energy. That’s how I’d describe it, a wave. It was really mild, but decidedly noticeable. I appreciate that it is a different energy than that of caffeine, which often gives me jitters even in low dosage. There wasn’t a crash, but there were diminished results the more days in a row I took it.”
“I didn’t really feel much on this supplement. It could have something to do with the fact that I eat about four eggs every day, which are loaded with choline, does not make me the best candidate for this supplement.”
“I’ve been taking four capsules in the mornings with my coffee. I did feel slightly more focused, but the feeling is gone by midday, when I take four more capsules to help me get through the afternoon slump.”
“These definitely help me keep my concentration and focus on the task at hand. The effects were more pronounced in the first couple of days, and then the effects diminished. I tried cycling off for a couple of days, and was able to achieve the same focus effect when I started taking it again.”
- Choline Force contains no caffeine, so it pairs well when you’re already taking in caffeine, like with your morning coffee. The light “wave” of energy our testers felt was also most desirable in the morning.
- Our testers experienced no negative side effects from this supplement. But as with any supplement or nutritional regimen, you should talk to your doctor or medical professional before use. If you do have excess choline, it can cause jaw or muscle tension, which is why the manufacturer suggests a range of potential sizes. This product also contains phenylalanine, which can cause side effects in some people with preexisting conditions.
- Take just before eating to take advantage of an active digestive system and promote absorption.
- Our testers felt diminishing effects after roughly a week of taking Choline Force. After a few days off from the supplement, taking one or more servings (4 pills each) of Choline Force once again produced a desired cognitive boost. We recommend pairing it with caffeine or guarana, and to use it in a “1 week on, 3 days off” pattern in order to keep feeling the effects of the supplement.
Choline Force is a great caffeine-free nootropic stack, especially for those suffering from a choline deficiency. In addition to a cognitive boost and improved focus, some users feel increased physical energy. Though its perceived effects seem to diminish over time, taking a break from the supplement for a few days seems to be enough time for its effectiveness to return.
Like other Bulletproof/Upgraded Self products, Choline Force is a very clean, transparent supplement with ingredient dosages clearly listed. Our testers had a generally positive experience with no side-effects. They knew exactly what they were taking, in what dosages, and to what effect. This is definitely NOT a mystery pill.