Natural Stacks manufacturers a variety of nootropic products, including Smart Caffeine, CILTEP, MagTech, Dopamine Brain Food, and BioCreatine. Today we are reviewing another product from their Brain Food line, Serotonin Brain Food. This product is marketed as an all-natural neurotransmitter support stack, and it contains “well-known” adaptogen Rhodiola Rosea (learn more about Rhodiola and its incredibly low instance of side effects here).
Serotonin Brain Food (click for best price) also claims to help regulate appetite and digestion, and may improve sleep quality. Read on to find out if this supplement had enough of an effect in serotonin production for these effects to be observed.
Seratonin Brain Food Nutrition Label Ingredients
- Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) – 500 mg
- Vitamin B3 acts within the adrenal system to synthesize a number of sex and stress-related hormones, along with serotonin, a neurotransmitter acting on the central nervous system and the GI tract. Some people experience a harmless “flush” when taking Niacinamide supplements.
- Magnesium (Magnesium glycate) – 50 mg
- Magnesium is a mineral involved in over 300 metabolic reactions in the human body. Magnesium has shown to induce a sense of calm, and it can be a powerful sleep aid.
- Zinc (Zinc glycinate) – 20 mg
- Zinc is a trace mineral in diets and element linked to sleep quality and the sense of smell and taste.
- L-Tryptophan – 900 mg
- L-tryptophan is an essential amino acid and a precursor to 5-HTP, serotonin, and melatonin. Studies have linked L-Tryptophan deficiency to some depressive mood disorders.
- Rhodiola Rosea (root) extract (standardized to 3% total rosavins min. 1% salidrosides) – 400 mg
- Rhodiola has been used in Eastern medicine to treat depression, stimulate the nervous system, improve work performance, and eliminate fatigue. Rhodiola is categorized as an adaptogen, a substance shown to reduce the negative effects of stress while promoting physical and mental endurance.
- Other Ingredients: Vegetable capsules, cellulose, vegetable stearate, silica.
- Take a serving of 2-3 capsules to support a positive mood, during situations of stress or irritability, or as directed by a healthcare practitioner.
- Avoid use in the evening.
- Do not exceed 2 servings per day.
What Our Testers Say
“I have had some of the best night’s sleep on this supplement. I’m not sure it really had much brain-boosting effects on my beyond what taking Rhodiola on its own could accomplish (which is still noticeable for me). My activity tracker showed a higher percentage of deep sleep than I usually get, and I did feel like I recovered from workouts better while taking these. I will keep these around for sure.”
“I had these with me on a recent trip, and they were fantastic to help me fight jet-lag. I also took them 20 minutes before boarding my transatlantic flight, and it really helped me deal with my usual flight anxiety. These will definitely travel with me anywhere I go. Not the most potent brain-booster I’ve tried recently, but very handy for maintaining a sense of calm when faced with stress.”
“I took 2 of these in the morning, with my cup of coffee, and felt a mild wave of calm and clear-headedness. I was able to stay in control during high-stress situations, and I ended up having some great sleep to boot. This supplement did not increase my energy levels or focus, though.”
“I took 2 capsules of Serotonin Brain Food in the morning with my coffee. I really enjoyed the way it made me feel (calm, focused, and sociable) and it may have actually helped curb my snack cravings.”
- This supplement pairs well with caffeine when taken in the morning. The coffee-Rhodiola Rosea stack gave those who took the supplement in the morning a smooth and sustained boost in focus. Adaptogens like Rhodiola Rosea have been known to boost the effect of stimulants like caffeine.
- This supplement contains 400 mg of Rhodiola (almost four times as much as in Rhodiola by Solaray), and we suggest refraining from taking more than the recommended dosage. Rhodiola consumption over this amount may actually reduce its effectiveness.
- For optimized sleep, try to take this supplement with calcium or calcium-rich foods to take full advantage of the magnesium in this supplement.
- Our testers achieved their best results when occasionally cycling off this supplement or when not using it for everyday use, only more stressful situations or days.
- As with any supplement or nutritional regimen, you should talk to your doctor or medical professional before use if you’re taking medication or suspect you have a medical issue.
All of our testers felt calming effects from Serotonin Brain Food; those who took it with coffee noticed a smoother energy boost and a greater ability to fight stress, likely due to the rhodiola-caffeine combination we’ve seen with other supplements. While Serotonin Brain Food did little on its own to boost energy levels or focus, most of our testers reported improved sleep quality when taking this supplement.